Are you looking for a quick project that’s functional and fat quarter friendly? Enjoy this free quilted body pillow tutorial!
I don’t know about you, but I have lots of fat quarters sitting around waiting to be used!
I’m Mallory, the owner of Fieldstone Fabric, an online quilt shop. Today, I’m sharing with you how to make a quilted body pillowcase. This is a fun project that can be made in a day.
Quilted Body Pillow pattern ( free pattern)
- -standard body pillow form 20” x 54”. I used this body pillow from Amazon.
- – fabric (yardage is included in the downloadable pattern)
- -quilt batting (yardage is included in the downloadable pattern)
- –Optional: You can use scraps in place of fat quarters for the pillowcase top. A bed sheet or extra fabric you don’t care for can be used as the quilt sandwich backing since it won’t be seen.
- -Fabric for backing used was Cuddle Luxe Hide in Navy. My son wanted the pillow to be extra plush on one side, and cotton on the front. Perfect for summer and winter!
Once you’ve cut the fabric as noted in the downloadable pattern, you will use the included steps to make Half-Square Triangles (HSTs) 8-at-a-time and also 4-at-a-time.
This is the most intensive step, which makes this pattern rather simple! Follow these basic steps to make your HST. The free pattern has all of the steps included with diagrams.
- Place (2) fabrics RST. Draw diagonal lines from corner to corner.
- Sew ¼” seam on both sides of each diagonal line.
- Cut on the drawn diagonal line which will yield (4) triangles.
- Cut a perpendicular line from the top to bottom, and side to side for each of these units. You will now have (8) HST.
- Trim to the size specified in the pattern PDF and press open. Make enough blocks according to the pattern. I like using this HST ruler to help easily trim.
- Place (2) fabrics RST. Sew ¼” seam going around all four edges of the fabric.
- Draw diagonal lines from corner to corner. Cut on the drawn lines. You will now have (4) HST.
- Trim to the size specified in the pattern PDF and press open.
Piecing the Quilted Body Pillow
- When you’re done with the HST, lay out the pieces in a chevron pattern indicated in the photo. This layout and same sized blocks make for the perfect opportunity to chain piece the blocks.
- Sew the main fabric pieces to either side of the pieced section.
- Make a quilt sandwich using batting and a piece of backing. You wont’t see the backing fabric. Baste with preferred method, and quilt as desired.
- Trim excess batting/backing on the quilted top.
Assembly of the quilted body pillow
- Using (1) piece of the backing fabric, press under ¼” of the short edge. Then press under another ¼”. Sew along the folded edge so the raw edges are tucked into the seam.
- Repeat this step with the other backing fabric piece.
- Lay backing pieces RST with the quilted pillowcase top. The folded edges of the backing will overlap in the middle of the pillowcase.
- Sew along all four edges of the pillowcase top.
- Turn pillowcase right side out and press. Enjoy your new quilted body pillowcase!
Follow my quilty adventures below:
Or at my website: